Friday, December 01, 2006

Daily Digest December 1, 2006

Joe Hueglin wrote:
The DAILY DIGEST: INFORMATION and OPINION from ST. JOHN’S to VICTORIA.

EDITORIALs

ST.JOHN'S TELEGRAM -
Let’s look before we leap

HALIFAX HERALD - Canada’s fair share

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Editorial/544448.html

MONTREAL GAZETTE -
Major allies aren't pulling their weight in Afghanistan  

MONTREAL GAZETTE -
Odd way to start a convention  

OTTAWA CITIZEN -
Show Sudan we're serious  

TORONTO STAR -
NATO's wavering gives Taliban hope

TORONTO STAR -
Investing in justice

TORONTO STAR - Protection for illegals

NATIONAL POST -
The next Liberal leader  

HAMILTON SPECTATOR -
Take pride in a very human GG

LONDON FREE PRESS -
Reinforce our troops

K-W RECORD - The bright promise of Stephane Dion

http://www.therecord.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=record/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164927014927&call_pageid=1024322168441&col=1024322320546

WINDSOR STAR -
Public money: Fraser's $200-billion warning  

SUDBURY STAR -
No emperor, no clothes; Paul Martin brought about his own undoing by treating others badly

SUDBURY STAR -
Tory's proposals worth a good look

REGINA LEADER-POST -
Wait times need work  

CALGARY SUN -
Make your voice heard

EDMONTON JOURNAL -
Down to the wire in Tory race  

EDMONTON JOURNAL -
Fresh start for Liberals  

VANCOUVE
R PROVINCE -
Delegates in Montreal must look to the man who can beat Harper  

VICTORIA TIMES-COLONIST -
Ottawa's culture of entitlement  


ISSUES

ABORIGINAL AFFAIRS

It's all Harper's fault


CANADIAN FORCES

Bodies of two Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan return home

No transformation


Nato's mission in Afghanistan dominates allia
nce summit



Time is on the Taliban's side


Deep inside the 'kingdom of heaven'

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/HL02Df04.html


FOREIGN AFFAIRS
From the Silk Road to Eco-Fundamentalism

The New Silk Road


Canada blasts United Nations over Mideast conflict


Harper watches brawl at inauguration ceremony for Mexican presi
dent



HEALTH CARE RELATED

First private emergency room opens


Clinic will be shut on first violation  

Some wines healthier than others


POLITICS IN THE PROVINCES

Booming, oil-rich Alberta set to pick a premier

No fatal blow from Morton

Nothing scary about Morton


Nice guy to finish first?


Tory candidates land final jabs  

Leadership camps hit final leg of contest hard 


Rivals temper tone ahead of final vote  

Is this man too 'scary' for Alberta?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061201.MORTON01/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/

Quebec adopts motion backing 'the Québécois' as a nation

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061201.NATION01/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/


POLITICS

Not all the action is in Montreal


Reflections on the leadership race
>
Liberals can't beat Tories, regardless of leader  


Liberals stick with status quo  

Liberal convention is all about Quebec


Top 4 pitch separate paths for Liberals


The man to beat


Liberal delegates see themselves as free agents



'Undecideds' continue to ponder options  


Delegates twist arms, exchange hugs to sway second-ballot result

Chretien's blunt assessment of Martin reign: 'He didn't win'


Laughs few and far between in long night of Liberal candidate speeches


Ignatieff, Rae draw battle lines 


Kennedy camp names its price  

Sports-betting site puts Rae on top, Ignatieff in third 


No matter who wins, Tories hold advantage 

Celebrating their fallen hero Martin  

Still fawning over Trudeau  

G&M
Complete coverage: Liberal leadership

TorStar
Our Liberal leadership page

Top 4 pitch separate paths for Liberals

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061201.LIBSMAIN01/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/

Final debate before vote shows stark contrasts between contenders

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061201.ALBERTA01/TPStory/TPNational/Politics/


PROGRAMMES

Ottawa to resolve fiscal imbalance: Flaherty aide


Wartman urges backing for CWB  

CWB directors hold emergency meeting


CWB board urges Strahl to reconsider firing president over
...


Canadian Wheat Board Directors Say They Stand Behind Measner


WEB EXTRA: Firing Measner would put CWB at risk, directors claim


Statement From The Board Of Directors of The Canadian Wheat Board



Quebec not a nation says MP


MP votes in favour of nation motion


Pickering MP opposes Quebec as a nation

Nation notion dangerous


Nation debacle courting disaster


OPINION AND INFORMATION

Great Lakes woes mount  


A country that works  
It may be a young society, but it is worth remembering that very few countries have existed in their current form longer than Canada

Those ambitious, rambunctious Valley boys

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Opinion/544534.html

Environment should be Grit focus

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Opinion/544451.html

Waiting for the
end game in Harper's gambit

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/westview/story/3797518p-4392252c.html


INFOS
Les candidats au PLC livrent leurs derniers discours; Volpe vole la vedette


Chrétien vient saluer les libéraux et décoche encore une flèche envers Martin


Joe Volpe va joindre le camp de Bob Rae dans la course à la direction du PLC


Devant les délégués libéraux, Ignatief
f s'attaque surtout à Harper



Unir le PLC pour l'avenir du Canada et le monde pour Kyoto, dit Stéphane Dion


Congrès du Parti libéral du Canada - Afghanistan: Ignatieff nuance son appui à Harper


Martin lance un appel à l'unité


Congrès du PLC ·
Ignatieff s'attaque à Harper


Congrès du PLC ·
Bob Rae reçoit l`aide de Joe Volpe


Congrès du PLC ·
«L'unité plutôt que la division» - Gerard Kennedy
[]

Congrès du PLC ·
L'environnement pour Stéphane Dion


Congrès du PLC ·
Les paris sont ouverts


BELOW(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)30)(30)(30)(30)(30)30)30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)(30)

SOMETHING TO WATCH FOR

                          Instead, the Taliban will attempt to isolate Kandahar by cutting off the Kandahar-Herat highway to the west,
                          and the road leading east to Kabul. That is the battle to come.
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/HL02Df04.html


The image “http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/images  



«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥&la
quo;¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»

Norman Greenfield
Subject: RE: TWO TOPICS IN SOME DEPTH


Good. Now the whole world knows how dumb our politicians are. Do you think they will take pity on us, laught with us, or laugh at us?
 
Or just nod and say for but the grace of god go us.

===================================
Caspar Davis
Subject: Re: TWO TOPICS IN SOME DEPTH

Increasingly, that appears to be the only option Mr. Strahl is willing to countenance. My way or the highway is no way to build support. It is, however, the route Mr. Strahl follows most every tim
e.

My way or the highway IS the Harper way. It's not surprising that it has rubbed off on Mr. Strahl. It seems clear that the majority of wheat farmers appreciate the wheat board - and that the only long-term beneficiaries of its abolition will be the agribusiness oligopoly, who will then be able to fix the price and complete the subjugation of farmers, who are fast becoming neo-serfs who buy and plant the corporate lord's seeds at the price set by the lord, do the work of growing, and sell their produce at the price set by the lord. Before long, they will also lose their land to Lord Agribusiness, and either move away or work for minimal wages. This process is well under way in the USA - see, inter alia, Fast Food Nation.

As to the "nationhood" issue, it's main effect will be that the Bloc will preface every future demand with the phrase "As a nation..." Whatever the legalities (and they are murky at best),
I predict that the difficult distinction between Quebec and Québécois will be completely lost in the political realm.

The motion is a either a crass and cynical ploy to garner votes in Quebec or a deliberate step towards the dissolution of the Canadian nation, or both. I think it is the former on the part of the NDP and most Liberals, and the latter on the part of Mr. Harper and also perhaps Ignatieff.

Caspar Davis
Victoria

===================================
John Dowson

Hi Joe: The best letter to the editor I have ever read went as follows" If Stephen Harper doesn't trust his MP's then why should we" That says it all.
 
By the way does anyone know when the Colony of New France took the name "Quebec"? Who named it Quebec, and why, was Quebec a French name or an aboriginal name? As I understand it up until the Durham report is was all Canada and then it was split into Upper and
Lower Canada, to which the Loyalists of Ontario applauded. An editorial of the day said "thank god it's finally been separated" John Dowson

===================================TO BE READ KNOWING SOME WORDS MAY BE CONSIDERED OFFENSIVE

Subject: Quebec - Identity, geography .. Trouble enough!
From: Stratos Psarianos

Identity problems? Geographical ones? Consider the plight of the poor Quebecers ...
 
In a busy Parisian cafe, a tourist is sitting alone, enjoying a cr me caramel. Another tourist approaches:

May I sit here?

No problem...

Thank you, very nice...

Are you on vacation?

Yes, I arrived yesterday...

What country are you from?

Norway
. You?

From Quebec .

>Quebec
? I don't know of Quebec ...

Quebec... near the Atlantic, next to Ontario , the Great Lakes ...

No, I don't know these places.

Never mind then, I'm from Canada ...

Ah! Canada ! Canada I know! So why did you tell me you come from Quebec ?

Because, my first country is Quebec !

Oh, you were born in Quebec and immigrated to Canada ....

No, no, I was born in Quebec and I stay in Quebec ...

Oh, then your father is from Canada ?

No, no, my father, my mother, my wife, my dog, everybody, they come from Quebec ....

So why do you say Canada ?

For Christ sake, because you say you don't know where is Quebec !

OK, but if you say you don't know Norway , I don'
t say that my country is Japan...

Shit! Canada isn't Japan . Canada , it's my country.

Oh, your country not Quebec anymore?...

My country is Quebec . But my country, it can be Canada too, if the person I speak to not doesn't is Quebec , Tabarnak!

I do not understand...

Look, it's simple: I come from the Province of Quebec , in the country of Canada .

 Ok!  But I did not ask you what province you're from, I asked what country. I come from the Lofoten region in Norway , but I answer you Norway when you ask me what country I come from...

I know, I'm not stupid, Coulisse! But me, when they ask me what country I come from, I answer Quebec . Even if it's the name of my province. For me, it's my country.

Oh, now I understand. You are a separatist, you want your Quebec province to be your country...

Are you crazy, Hostie? I do
n't want to know nothing from that shit!

I not understand anything anymore.

I tell you before, it's simple! You ask me what country I come from, I answer Quebec because Quebec is my country, but I don't really want it to be my country, it would be too much trouble. I just want to say it. So, why don't you just let me say it?

I'm all mixed up. You have passport from what country: Quebec or Canada ?

CANADA
, Hostie!

So why you not tell me Canada right away?

Because it don't feel right. For me, Canada is Anne Murray, the Calgary Stampede, the Mounted Police, SARS, it's not my home all that. Home, it's La Famille Plouffe, Saraphin Poudrier, La P'tite Vie, Felix Leclerc, La Poune, Les Canadiens de Montreal, Les Bougons... Do you understand???

Le
ss and less...

Listen, forget all that shit. Ask me another question.

Ok, what town you come from?

 Mmm..., I don't know anymore...

You not know what town you come from?

 Yes, yes, I know what town I come from, but my town it merge with another town, but soon it is going to demerge from the town that was supposed to be my town...

Oh, that very complicated! When you write your address, what do you write?

 I don't know anymore. Before, I used to write Hull , but Hull changed to Gatineau , but they tell us to wait 3 years before stopping to write Hull to not mix up the mailman. But now, the Liberals they pass a law that make it ok for Gatineau to be Hull again, but I don't know if we have to wait 3 years to be able to write Hull, or when the 3 years are passed, if we have to write Gatineau for 3 years, and after we write Hull. Unless, of course, the
PQ come back in power and we remerge with Gatineau , then we'll have to write Gatineau for 3 years. I leave now; I have hurt in my head... It's so simple Tabarnak: My town is Hull , my country is Quebec . But if you prefer, my town is Gatineau and my country is Canada .

OK, I think I understand!

It's about time. Anyway, it was fun talking to you, if you come around where I live; maybe you come and see me...

OK, but where? Hull in Quebec or Gatineau in Canada ?

You're a pain in the ass. Forget the whole thing

That, my friends, is the portrait of Quebec !

===================================